Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Yarn balls ya'll!

yarn balls 5
I didn’t know what else to call them.  They’re balls, wrapped in yarn.  Yarn balls.  I know, it’s silly.  But if you’d like to know how to make some to add some pretty silliness to your space, I’ve got a tutorial for you.
yarn balls
Materials needed:
  • Styrofoam balls (any size will do)
  • Wooden skewers
  • Craft glue
  • Yarn
Before I started on this project, I read on Pinterest that you can dye your skewers using food coloring.  So I tried it.  I filled a glass baking dish with water and several drops of food coloring.  Then I soaked the skewers overnight.  The next day I discovered that it didn’t work.  So then I added the entire bottle of food coloring.  That did the trick.  So apparently it does work but you just have to use a ridiculous amount of food coloring for the wood to soak up. 

yarn balls 2
So, start by shoving the skewers lovingly into the Styrofoam balls.  Pointed end in works best.
yarn balls 3
Starting at the bottom around the stick, spread some glue and begin wrapping the yarn around in a spiral.
banner 2
Keep gluing and wrapping the yarn around until you get to the top.
yarn balls 6
Now you should have some perfectly round textured balls to display.  I like these because of the texture and the perfect roundness.  They could be embellished with a ribbon tied underneath the balls into a bow.  Really, these are unfinished to me but I can’t decide what to do with them further.  I think these will be perfect in my daughters’ room.
So what would you do with them?  What would you add?  What would you do differently?  I’d love to know!

7 comments:

  1. Some time ago I made something similar with an old chips tin. But I didn't think of using styrofoam beads.
    I added little doilys - maybe it would fit your project too!
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Styrofoam is made from foamed polystyrene and was first invented in 1941 by Dew Laboratories. When you pick up a piece of Styrofoam it will seem very weak and easy to break, in fact when you do break it you will notice its crumbly texture. In fact if Styrofoam is combined with the right materials it becomes very strong. These other materials include concrete or cardboard.

    Hotwire Cut Styrofoam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I feel like they would be awesome in a Dr Seuss themed room! Very whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I really really love and appreciate comments, but i hate spam.

Due to the heavy amount of spam comments I've been receiving lately I had to put the word verification up. I know how annoying it can be when you want to leave a comment but I hope you will understand.

Would you be so kind to take the extra step to post your thoughts?

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...