Friday, August 24, 2012

Fabric block coasters tutorial

fabric block coasters


I love looking through my mom’s fabric stash.  A lot of the fabrics remind me of special times.  I get my love of sewing from her and we’ve been through a lot of adventures together just since I started sewing.  From the time she taught me to sew at her first sewing studio to the trip we took to Ohio to buy the fabric for her fabric store.  We’ve brainstormed many ideas together; some awesome and some not so great.  We are both really bad about not finishing projects or making things and not doing anything with them. 

As I was looking through her fabric, I found a bunch of these that she had been making for Christmas some years back and I remember always liking the idea.  She used to make them as ornaments but I really like them as coasters.  I think these would make a sweet hostess gift.

So today I’m going to show you a really easy tutorial on how to make these fabric block coasters.

fabric coaster

This is a perfect scrap buster project.  It requires small pieces of fabric and is soooo easy.

fabric block coasters

You need five squares of coordinating fabrics.  I cut mine out at 4” but the size is up to you.  The finished coaster will be 1/2” smaller than that.

fabric block coasters

Decide which square you want to use as the bottom piece and set that one aside.  Fold the other four in half and press.

fabric block coasters

Next, assemble the pieces, one by one, like above.  Be sure to lay them out with the raw edges to the outside of the square.

fabric block coasters

Now lay the bottom piece on top of your assembled square with it’s right-side down and pin.

fabric block coasters

Sew around all four sides using the edge of your presser foot as a guide and clip the corners.  Don’t worry about leaving an opening like you would on pillows and such.  Just sew all around the square.

fabric block coasters

Flip it over and using the opening in the center, turn it right side out and give it a good press with your iron.

fabric block coasters

I’m using mine as I type up this blog post.  ;) They are much more absorbent than tile coasters and they can be thrown in the wash if needed.


fabric block coasters

Thanks, Mom, for the inspiration!  I must say, I’m your biggest fan!

10 comments:

  1. Very cute, love the fabric! Now I just need to get a sewing machine! Have a great weekend. ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is so absolutely brilliant!!! Your mom is awesome and thank you for sharing this with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I will tell her you said that. She still doesn't believe that she is that creative but she is told that all the time. I had to have picked it up from somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tutorial. I also enjoyed this idea when I first saw it on Jenny B. Harris' "All Sorts" blog: http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's neat! Ive never seen it done anywhere else. I just remember seeing all the ones that my mom made. Are you Jenny b. Harris?

      Delete
  5. I just made a couple using differently textured fabrics for little tiny hands to hold and chew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!
    You can even get a sheet of plastic inside, just to be extra sure you won´t get our table wet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! just made some! If you want to, check them on my blog: tasteconsolando.blogspot.pt, I started it this month. :) Love this coasters!

      Delete

I really really love and appreciate comments, but i hate spam.

Due to the heavy amount of spam comments I've been receiving lately I had to put the word verification up. I know how annoying it can be when you want to leave a comment but I hope you will understand.

Would you be so kind to take the extra step to post your thoughts?

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...